Van Halen (w/ Gary Cherone) performing Mean Street

I wasn’t a big fan of Gary Cherone joining Van Halen back in the day. That being said, I ran across this version of the classic Van Halen song Mean Street with Gary Cherone on vocals and it is fantastic.

YouTube Preview Image
Comments
  • Shane June 1, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Gary should have never left Extreme. I can’t stand VH with any singer and Extreme’s 3 Sides to Every Story is a great CD. If you have never checked it out before, look up Nuno Bettencourt’s (Extreme’s guitar player) solo album after Gary left. It is pretty good. Nuno was a very underrated guitar player…any VH fan will hate me for this, but I would take him over Eddie any day.

• steve June 1, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I can’t stand VH with any singer

Note to self, Shane isn’t a VH fan…

I agree Nuno is an underrated guitarist:

• Shane June 2, 2011 at 7:33 am

I have never liked their music, and I really don’t like the band members. I think the entire situation with Michael Anthony and Wolfie tells you a lot about Alex and Eddie. They can’t get along with any of their singers and now they kick out their bassist to put one of their kids in the band!

I wouldn’t put Eddie in my top 10 guitar players of all time (Satriani and SRV are 1 and 2). And being a drummer myself, Alex wouldn’t crack my top 25.

• steve June 2, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I agree, the way the VH brothers treated Michael Anthony was really crappy.

It seems Rolling Stone agrees with you on EVH (#70?):

• Shane June 2, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Any list with Kirk Hammett at #11 has about as much credibility as Al Gore. As much as I dislike Eddie, he deserves better than 70. Who’s at the top of your list steve?

• Shane June 2, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Here’s an unknown one for you
    Joey Eppard of the band Three

I also really like John Petrucci. Two others that would have been great if they didn’t die at such a young age were Randy Rhoads and Criss Oliva.

Thanks for the break from politics with this post by the way. It’s nice to talk something a little less serious every now and then! I have been watching youtube videos all night because of this discussion.

• steve June 2, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I saw Petrucci with Vai and Satch at a G3 show at Pine Knob back in the day, he was great.

I’ll have to look up Criss Olivia, however Randy Rhodes kicked butt. I love his ‘neo classical’ sound.

I agree its nice to take a break from the politics now and then. I’ve been watching videos all evening as well. Since you are a local guy, did you see that Kid Rock and Sammy Hagar will be at Comerica Park this August?

• Shane June 3, 2011 at 7:43 am

I saw the Kid will be coming back. I saw him once at DTE with Run DMC shortly before Jam Master J was killed. It was a great show, but I don’t know if I will go this time.

Everyone knows Tran-Siberian Orchestra…Criss Oliva’s brother Jon created TSO. Most websites will credit Paul O’Neil, but Criss and Jon started the band Savatage, the second best band ever behind Dream Theater, and Savatage was the basis for TSO. The song Christmas Eve 12/24, TSO’s most popular song, was first realeased on Savatage’s Dead Winter Dead album. Jon Oliva is a musical genius. He has done broadway shows and it the mastermind behind Savatage and TSO. The white guitar wraped with roses you see on a lot of TSO cover art and tshirts is actually a tribute to Criss.

When I saw G3 it was Robert Fripp, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Vai, and Satch. Vai had a terrible night (lots of mistakes, just an off night) and unfortunately, it’s the only time I have ever gotten to see him. Kenny Wayne Sheppard blew me away. He was much better than I expected.

If you have never read it and you have the time, pick up Stevie Ray Vaughn: Caught in the Crossfire. It is an amazing bio. The little known fact about SRV was that he was saved and became a pretty devoted christian shortly before the crash. Listen to some of the last songs he wrote…Life by the Drop (“lord it’s great to be walking with you my friend”) and Wall of Denial…Here is a letter from his mother to his fans.

• steve June 3, 2011 at 6:49 pm

When I saw G3 it was Robert Fripp, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Vai, and Satch.

I was there! I roped a bunch of my friends into going and we had a great time.

• dan dicesare September 18, 2011 at 2:48 am

Shane
    Gary grew up in the same town I did in Massachusetts and dated my sisters best friend. I took drum lessons from Paul Geary. I am proud to have know Gary and shall always be. He is the most down to earth guy, no pretense, has worked his as* off trying to be the best he can be. What more could anyone ask? Thank you, Gary for all of your successes. We are really proud of you and always will be. Keep on rocking. Dan DiCesare (Helene’s brother-back in MHS).