R.S. McCain claims no great rock music been recorded since John Bonham died

I can’t let this slide….

Mr. McCain @ The Other McCain web page boldly claims:

Granted, this could be a very long post, but I just happened to notice Dan blathering on about some artsy New Wave poseurs and felt a need to point out the Neutral Objective Fact that no genuinely great rock and roll music was recorded after Sept. 25, 1980, the day John Bonham died.
How awesome was Led Zeppelin? For the most part, the lyrics were incomprehensible gibberish. More often than not, Robert Plant sang flat.
And nobody f–kin’ cared, because it was so f–kin’ awesome.

I’m a big time Zeppelin fan however I was too young to see Led Zeppelin live. But, I’ve seen Robert Plant live 3 times, The Firm (Jimmy Page & Paul Rodgers) and the Page – Plant tour in support of the Walking into Clarksdale album, CD, MP3 or whatever.

But claiming there has been no “genuinely great rock and roll music” recorded since September 25, 1980 is absurd.

Start with Brian Setzer (who is no slouch on the guitar) released Stray Cat Strut in 1981:

YouTube Preview Image

How ’bout Guns and Roses Welcome to the Jungle, released in 1987:

YouTube Preview Image

Kenny Wayne Shepherd released Deja Voodo in 1995:

YouTube Preview Image

Stone Temple Pilots dominated the 90′s rock scene released Big Bang Baby in 1996:

YouTube Preview Image

Detroit’s very own Jack White released Seven Nation Army in 2003:

YouTube Preview Image

Of course, I didn’t mention Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, ZZ Top, U2, Metallica, Nirvana, The Cult, Keith Richards and the X-pensive Wine-o’s, Van Halen and on and on…

An extra big tip o’ the hat to theCL for highlighting Mr. McCain’s bold claim.

Comments
  • Matt April 30, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Wow, it isn’t as if rock died after Bonham.

• steve April 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I know…

I’m a big time Zeppelin fan. But come on, there is tons of great music post 1980.

• geek49203 May 7, 2012 at 8:09 am

You’re too young do believe that all music made in the past 20 years sucks. However, this too will come. In a while, you will find yourself stuck on one of the oldies station on the XM/Sirius radio….

• steve May 7, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I usually (about 50% of the time) listen to the classic rock stations in the car until I get bored with the repetitiveness- I mean how many times can you listen to Tom Petty’s “Last Dance With Mary Jane.” Then I flip over to the more modern rock stations (about 30% of the time). After that I’m all over the map.

My iPod… Now that is interesting. Maybe I should post a playlist or two….

• geek49203 May 7, 2012 at 8:10 am

And for the record, the 1980′s music really, really sucked compared to the previous 20-30 years.

• steve May 7, 2012 at 5:41 pm

The 80′s weren’t a particularly strong era for straight ahead rock but there are a few gems.

A few bands that made it big in the 80′s (off the top of my head): U2 (hate their politics), Metallica, The Cult, Van Halen, Guns and Roses come to mind. I think one thing that happens is as time passes the great music from the past lives and the era is distilled down to all the great tunes and and the bad stuff fades away.

I’m sure I could find a few truly awful 50′s and 60′s tunes. Tiny Tim music vids. anyone?

Trackbacks