Sunday Morning Links: The Vanishing Drive In Theater Edition

The vanishing Drive-In Theater:

At their peak, in the late 1950s, there were almost 5000 drive-ins. Today, there are only 366 drive-ins operating in the United States. The outdoor theaters saw a dramatic decline in the 70s and 80s and many of their remains can still be found off highways, marked by rusting entrance marquees with kitschy typography.  But in recent years it seems the power of nostalgia is breathing new life into the drive-in industry. It still remains an extremely fragile business and by no-means will rise again as the mass-market entertainment choice it was in the 1950s, but drive-ins are where thriftiness meets escapist entertainment — under the stars, of course.

H/T to my StubleUpon friend and MCT commenter FasterCat for pointing out this web site.

Now, on to the links…

ChrisWy: Do as they say, not as they do. That’s the libtard motto.
WWTFT: The Campaign Is Over
TheCL: Boehner and Obama Want to Raise Your Taxes for Christmas
The LC: Choom time, dudes!
WixomWeb: Why the Chinese Demand US Gun Control

CH2.0: Liberals Threaten NRA with Death, Forgets That Clinton Made Same Suggestion
SJ: It’s time for conservatives to put Obama on defense
BdKS: Guns Crime Facts, Gun Crime Feelings
Bunker: ‘Oh come, oh come Emmanuel’
CoF: Hollywood’s Political Agenda

Spellchek: Benghazi Accountability Review Board (ARB) report analysis
FCBZ: Hillary a No-Show, Kerry Silent at White House Secretary of State Announcement
MTTM: New Signs Near Schools
Gator: Ed’s Important, Second Amendment-Related Question O’ The Day
Jen: An Open Letter to President Obama on Gun Control

The TCN: Outstanding! – Christmas Flash Mob by Journey of Faith
Teresa: The Second Amendment, Gun Laws, and the Value of Life
LaS: The Four Things Left Wing Politicians Will Never Be Able to Outlaw
CP: Get a Load of This
PR: Liberal Hate Speech Over Gun Control
Zilla: A Week Before Christmas…

“The Eye.” Is still recuperating and has posted an update.

Comments
  • Zilla December 23, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thank you for the linky, Steve!
    We still have a Drive-In near me. I haven’t been to the movies in well over 8 years (since before I became a Mom), but if I were to go, I’d want to go to the drive in because the car (or truck in our case) seats are much more comfortable than theater seats, you can bring your own snacks, and there’s no worry about some tall person blocking your view which as a short person is an issue I’d have to deal with at a regular movie theater.

• Zilla December 23, 2012 at 9:30 am

Actually we have 2 still operating in this region! I checked. There used to be 5! But I grew up on Long Island, and the Drive In we used to go to there was demolished after I moved away from there. Now it has a regular theater. Here’s a link for the old Westbury Drive In which has pictures and information:
      They had 3 screens and the place was always busy, so I think they probably made better money as a drive in than they do with an indoor theater now that nobody can afford regular movie tickets.

• steve December 23, 2012 at 9:36 am

Too cool! The only drive-in’s around my neck of the woods are 2+ hours away. I remember going as a kid and it was so much fun.

• Fastercat December 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm

That “SKYKINE” …looks like our old x-rated drive-in near Greensburg In.

• steve December 23, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I had no idea…

Anyhow, thanks for sending me the web site, I’ll probably use the cars next.

• John Carey December 23, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Thanks for the linkage. The drive-in theater I went to when I was kid is now used as a flea Market on Sundays.

• steve December 23, 2012 at 7:37 pm

The drive in where I grew up is now a strip mall. And it’s not like we have a shortage of strip malls.

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire December 23, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Hey, in my day the Drive-in was known as the passion pit.
    Thanks for the link, Steve.

• steve December 23, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Ha!

• KingShamus December 24, 2012 at 8:16 am

PJ O’Rourke has a theory that as America used their cars to get away from the scuzzy crime-laden cities and for long-mileage commutes, the car became much less fun and more of a utilitarian tool. I think the decline of the drive-ins can be chalked up in part to the changing attitudes Americans had about their vehicles. If you already spend an hour and a half driving to your job, you probably don’t want to sit in a car for two hours to watch a movie.

Having said that, it’s nice to hear that there are a few drive-ins still around and doing good business.

Merry Christmas, Steve. Thanks for including me in your linky goodness. I appreciate it very much.

• steve December 24, 2012 at 9:10 am

Great point about spending a lot of time commuting (I know all about that subject).

Merry Christmas to you as well!

• Martin December 24, 2012 at 11:33 am

Thanks Steve. Merry Christmas to you and you’rn.

• steve December 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm

You are very welcome. We’re are having a nice time…

Merry Christmas to y’all as well!

• ClassicFilm December 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Love these photos of a nearly-bygone era of drive-ins. Thank you for the link and have a wondrous, merry Christmas, Steve!

• steve December 24, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Amazing how time fly’s.

Have a very Merry Christmas as well!

Trackbacks